January 6, 2011

Living an Eternal Life Now Part 1: Multiplied Grace and Peace

May Grace and Peace be Multiplied to You (1Peter 1:1-2)
                I met her yesterday while I was walking my dog. Dianne seemed to grasp at the attention she received from a simple hello. She began to tell me things, thing I did not particularly care to hear. It was obvious this woman was hurting and in bondage to her sin. I shared the gospel with her and let her know that Jesus Christ is the answer to her pain. Her response made me realize that this person had been receiving some form of spiritual training. She asked informed questions, she said the right things about salvation and who Jesus Christ was. That made the filth and corruption that came out of her mouth all the more astounding. I had to let her know that I could not listen to her anymore and left.  My heart sank. I considered how God’s grace had preserved me from becoming like Dianne. Then I realized how much like her I really am. Am I not tempted to adopt a victim mentality when things don’t go my way? Do I not vilify people who hurt me? Am I not tempted to absolve myself of any guilt or responsibility when my relationships are breaking apart? We are all tempted to resent difficult circumstances and the people through which they come. What grace have we been given to have peace in the midst of difficult circumstances? 

He has caused us to be born again to a living hope (1Peter 1:3-5)
                God graciously gives us hope through Jesus Christ. It is through Jesus that we have learned of God’s great love, justice, and the eternal life that only he can provide. It is through the resurrection of Jesus Christ that we have hope of eternal life after the death of our mortal bodies. Jesus, his ministry, and message were vindicated when God raised him from the dead. God has given mankind hope of an eternal existence in his kingdom. This kingdom is so unique that it cannot be described by comparing it to anything here on earth. Instead, it is described by stating everything it is not. We know what death, impurity, and fading is like. We have no real understanding of what the complete opposite of these is like. Try to draw a picture of  utopia sometime and you will understand the difficulty of grasping and communicating the infinite reality of eternal peace through the limited faculty of a finite mind. The impression we are left with is one where everything is complete and healthy for everyone. This is the biblical concept of peace, everything as it should be. An absolute peace awaits those who dedicate themselves to Christ having placed their faith and trust in him. The assurances of eternal bliss and the confident expectation of our deliverance from the hurt and sin in this world should result in peace. Realizing that everything we are experiencing is temporary and God will set all things right should motivate us to lean on this confidence in the promises of God. Meditating on these promises and knowing that God will accomplish what he has determined gives the Christian strength and peace to endure even the worst persecution. God promises to preserve those who are committed to responding to the truth of His word. That commitment should continue when unexpected, unpleasant, and unwelcomed events occur.

How confident are you that you will enjoy this eternal bliss? The answer lies in your commitment to follow Jesus Christ. He is our living hope. The choice is yours, you can continue fighting against the temptations to be like Dianne or you can surrender to having a living hope! This living hope is only given by grace to those who are saved through faith in Jesus Christ. Have you ever asked God for forgiveness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...